Welcome to our Online Community!
Advancing the Nursing Community
in New Mexico
Celebrating a Dozen Years in 2015!
The New Mexico Center for Nursing Excellence convenes and facilitates dialogue and action that results in excellence in nursing education, practice and work environment.
2015 NM Statewide Nursing Educators Conference
Academic and Employer Partners:
Transitioning Student Nurses to Clinical Practice
Join us for the 7th Annual NM Nursing Educators Conference.
June 8 & 9 AGENDA
NM Nursing Excellence Awards - Nomination process open!
Click on the Nursing Excellence Awards tab above for any and all information
you will need not only about the nomination process but the event itself on
Saturday, November 7th at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya!
2015 Nightingale Scholarships
We are pleased to announce the 2015 Nightingale Scholarship recipients:
- Jocelyn Davis, Farmington, San Juan College (ADN)
- Lyric Hammonds, Albuquerque, Central New Mexico Community College (ADN)
- Creighton Burson, Gallup, UNM College of Nursing (BSN)
- Marie Sanchez, Albuquerque, UNM College of Nursing (BSN)
- Weihong Miao, Albuquerque, UNM College of Nursing (RN-to-NSN)
- Amy Gundelach, Albuquerque, Loyola University-Chicago (MSN)
See the list and photos of the winners receiving their scholarship checks!
We wish to acknowledge the support of the NM Board of Nursing in funding this year’s scholarships through a grant from the Nurse Excellence Fund.
NMCNE / NMAC / NMNEC -- How are we all connected?
NMCNE (NM Center for Nursing Excellence); NMAC (NM Action Coalition); NMNEC (NM Nursing Education Consortium)
Hope this matrix helps you see the relationship between all these "NM" nursing organizations.
Why the Future of Nursing matters to all nurses
Read this American Journal of Nursing editorial and more by clicking on the NM Action Coalition menu tab above.
Want to know what’s going on with the Center?
Here are some of the things we presented in 2014:
- The awarding of 6 Nightingale Scholarships to nursing students throughout NM
- Dr. Barbara Damron told us What Every Nurse Needs to Know about Health Care Reform
- Hosted facilitated discussions around the role of nursing in the health of New Mexicans, resulting in a robust report
- A well received full-day Nursing Leadership Bootcamp
- Our 6th annual 2-day Nursing Educators Conference: Become a NMNEC Superuser
- The 10th annual New Mexico Nursing Excellence Awards
- Dr. Kenya Beard & Joy Jacobson led a full-day workshop: Narratives of Diversity: Creating Inclusive Environments
...and in 2015
- Dr. Peter Buerhaus talked to us about The Future of the Nursing Workforce in the Era of Health Care Reform
- In June, we host our 7th annual Nursing Educators Conference, Academic and Employer Partners: Transitioning Student Nurses to Clinical Practice.
- In September, we are hosting a discussion on population health - look for further info!
Get on our mailing list so you get up-to-date information on upcoming offerings for the rest of 2015!
From "Nurses Rock"
"You're a nurse?" that's cool, I wanted to do that when I was a kid. How much do you make?"
The nurse replied: "HOW MUCH DO I MAKE?" ... I can make holding your hand seem like the most important thing in the world when you're scared... I can make your child breathe when they stop...I can help your father survive a heart attack...I can make myself get up at 5AM to make sure your mother has the medicine she needs to live...I work all day to save the lives of strangers...I make my family wait for dinner until I know your family member is taken care of...I make myself skip lunch so that I can make sure that everything I did for your wife today is charted...I make myself work weekends and holidays because people don't just get sick Monday - Friday. Today, I might save your life. How much do I make? All I know is, I make a difference.
Read 10 of the most inspiring quotes about nursing.
Do you know about NMNEC? Well, you should!
Find out how the New Mexico Nursing Education Consortium is working toward a common core curriculum for nursing education in our state. Check them out!
Check out our Resources tab for many nurse data reports - and so much more!
It's been nearly 5 years since the landmark IOM report on nursing:
The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health
See what progress has been made on the IOM recommendations!
Check out the Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action's top accomplishments for 2014.
Online Courses Available!
Continuing education courses from Pearl's Review &CE Direct.